Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Forest of a New Planet - Christopher Chi

June 20 2220

Just landing on a foreign planet far away from Earth, I cautiously took a step outside and took in all the strange and new scenery. Earth is now destroyed from the massive nuclear war that broke out. I made a narrow escape by running towards the space pods once I heard about the nuclear missiles being launched over a dispute that lead to hostility. The planet I am on resembles Earth in many aspects. In my first glimpses of the new land I could see water and a wide terrain of trees and grass. Also the sky is a bright orange with the sight of 2 suns shining in the back ground. I haven’t gotten much rest from the voyage over here because I am very claustrophobic and being in a tight space pod did not help. In order to prepare for the bizarre creatures and plants I may find, I began to set up a spot near my space pod to sleep.

June 21, 2220

I woke up to the loud calls of some creature. Its voice shrilled throughout the lands. I haven’t felt this terrified in my life. Wondering what may lie behind those trees outlining the edge of the forest, I thought about animals that are the size of 3 story buildings and a group of hostile natives. Having promised myself that I would begin my search for life, I gather my courage and set forth into the forest full of mysteriously new plants. My primary objective is to gather wood to fuel a fire and also to find other life forms. Fire was needed in order to keep warm during the nights. Although the planet had 2 suns, during the night the planet would drop from a comfortable temperature to a below freezing state. I walked around through the forest looking at these various plants that seemed to be oozing with juice. A large drop of orange ooze dropped on my hand. I took a sniff of it and it smelled like mangoes. So I took a lick at the ooze and it tasted delicious. Its taste seemed so familiar but there were no word to represent it’s certain characteristics. Although my mission to find another life form wasn’t complete I have found wood and food that will last for the next 4-6 meals. Feeling contempt, I walked back to my camp and fell asleep.

June 22, 2220

Today I decided to dedicate my time searching for life on this planet. I wanted to find that creature that made a loud shrill the other morning. Although it has terrified me, I had a feeling of curiosity to know what I am against on this new world. In the very peak of the morning where the light started to peak onto the land, I went to a tree like plant and cut a piece of its limb off with a knife I have brought. This limb seems to be as strong as an oak tree. I carved it to a long point. I carried this spear into the forest. I also carried some ooze with me to drink during my breaks. As I walked through the forest I could hear rustles of leaves in the far distance. I stopped in my footsteps and listened. I could hear a distant rustle once again and decided to follow it. I approached the sound with cautious steps. I soon saw a figure and yelled out to it. The figure turned around and stared at me. In return I stared at it with deep curiosity. Approaching the new life form slowly, I reached out my hands, which suddenly triggered the creature to run away. I cannot believe that I have seen another life form. However, it was clearly different in many characteristics. It had ears on top of its head and eyes that glowed like a cat. It had long legs and long arms. This creature was strong with its muscles being well toned. I went back to my space pod feeling accomplished after finishing my goal of finding another life form. Once I reached back to my pod I made a bed of soft cotton like leaves and began to sleep.

June 23, 2220

I woke up to tiger like creatures nearby my space pod. This animal was at the very least 4 times bigger than I was. It was on all fours sniffing the ground. I worried thinking that it was my scent that it smelled because I was a foreigner to this planet. However, it was following a trail to its victim. A creature that was three times bigger. However, this tiger like creature leaped on to its victim and clawed at its back viciously. I watched in terror for this big creature compared to me took on a creature that was three times its size. I ran back into the space pod and hid inside there. Being afraid that I would get eaten by this large dangerous creature, I stayed inside the pod until the coast was clear. When I finally step outside, I found the ooze I collected all eaten up. This was horrible because it was becoming dark real soon. I needed food but I could not go into the forest without light. So I had to tough it out for the night.

June 24, 2220

During the fresh rays of the light from the sun of the planet, I woke up. I began to get ready to head back into the forest to gather food and perhaps learn more about these life forms I had recently met. I packed my knife and spear and went into the forest. The first moment I saw a plant oozing with orange ooze I fell to my knees and ate it all. I was hungry to the point of starvation not only from a skipped meal but also because of the deep sensation of being scared. I walked a long time in the forest gathering food but also keeping a keen eye for another creature. As I picked up some more ooze I rose up and met eye to eye of the creature that ran away from me the day before. I raised my hand to show that I mean no harm. It had friends behind it and they had weapons that I do not even know of. The new life forms pointed their spears and arrows at me. Feeling the deep sensation in my mind that I was going to die, I stood there still hoping that it will end quickly. However, they wanted me to follow them. Having no other choice, I obeyed and followed their lead. They brought me to a vast civilization and imprisoned me. There was a variety of food on the table presented before me. These creatures were very cautious. I am writing this final passage not knowing what will happen tomorrow. I am sitting here writing in my diary, while these life forms pass by my prison staring at me as if I was a new circus freak. These new creatures have brought me into their village and locked me in this shelter. I have no other option but to sleep and wait. With my eyes drooping in drowsiness, I end this diary entry hoping this will not be my last, but we shall see what fate brings me tomorrow…

No comments: